Friday, August 22, 2008

What is this, A post get out of here...

So this is a response to an e-mail Scott sent out, I like my response so I thought I would post it. In the e-mail Scott talked about an article by Frank Schaeffer. So here are my thoughts on it. I am coming from a Christian perspective and am probably talking more about what should motivate a Christian and what bugs me when we Christians talk about politics. Anyway enjoy...


O.K. so I am really torn on the upcoming election, I voted for Bush the last two elections because I really didn't like my other choices, and I hated voting for Bush each time, hated it. I hated it to the point were I am going to have to sike myself up to vote again... I am tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

I enjoy the website on the issues .com, I have found it to be pretty unbiased and a pretty good tool. It lists what people have said and their voting history. I trust it as much as I trust anything in politics...

Speaking of things I don't trust. I don't trust FRANK SCHAEFFER. In this article he talks about the old days when he was so smug, and then rants about the shortcomings of everyone else while proclaiming his vast knowledge of the state of America and the world, he complains about his economic state, and then promptly plugs his book. He is selling something.

He may be right, but that doesn't mean I trust him. His comment about Russia and Georgia is interesting. In the climate of the world we don't blink twice (my words). I think some of his thoughts on McCain are probably true. They are based on observation of the past. But then he says a better education system (which I want), a better economy (which I want), a better health care system (which we need) would result in less abortions. Maybe, possibly, maybe not, who knows? Can he predict the future? I don't think there will ever be fewer abortions. Abortion has become normal; our society has come to accept abortion as a part of life. My opinions about peace in the Middle East and abortion are the same; the only solution is the return of Christ. I pray I'm wrong but revival is the only thing that will decrease or stop abortions in this country. Yet I don't believe we stop "the fight” we don't give up, we don't stop praying and hoping for change... So what do we do? Seriously I'm asking.

I once heard of a Chinese student who said "Someday I want to become Prime Minister." He was then asked, "Won't that be difficult?" And he replied, "Yes, I will have to kill some people." And I'm told he said it all with a straight face. I don't know if either McCain or Obama have killed people, but I have a hard time believing you can be a Christian and run for president. You have to compromise your faith too much. A true God honoring, God fearing, Bible saturated, Christ embracing, walking with the Holy Spirit, heaven focused person can't win the presidential race. This is not a slam on McCain or Obama; it is an observation about America.

Schaeffer says, "As a born-again Christ-centered believer Obama offers a spiritual vision of life founded on the Sermon On the Mount” This is scary. I don't think Obama is a Christian, and yes that is between him and God but his supporters and him I suppose are saying Obama is a Christian, I think that opens it up for comment, even if in the end it is between him and God. He thinks sin is not doing what you believe is right, he does not think homosexuality is morally wrong, he thinks partial birth abortions are O.K. and the list goes on. These all stand in sharp contradiction to God's word. He might be a "good guy" and maybe not as liberal as others but is he a Christian?

What pisses me off about this is Schaeffer is using Obama's faith as a selling point, "Vote for Obama he is a Christian too." No!!! Vote for him because you think he will lead the country well, vote for him because you are tired of Republicans, but if you vote for anyone because you think they are a Christian I think you have been fooled.

Again the idea of McCain in the White House scares me a little too. Education, health care, the environment all suffer when a republican is in the white house. I don't know if we can survive another 4-8 years. In fact the swing back and forth just might be good for the country, every 8 years the political direction of the country will swing back the other way and somewhere in the middle some good things get done. And now it is clear I have no clue what I'm talking about.


What to do, I don't know... I once read this thing about how a Christian should vote and I like it, I will sum it up like this
-We believe that God is sovereign he knows who will win elections and directs who will win the elections. So what is the Christian's responsibility in an elections? Not the outcome. We should vote for who ever we feel will lead the best, who we are convicted to vote for, who best fits our ideals. You may think republican, you may thing democrat, you may think so crazy nut job third party, you may think my dad. It's not about voting for who you don't want, or who you think God doesn't want, it's about voting for who you think is best even if that person loses every time. I like that... Maybe... I'm not sure...

I don't know if I can vote for either of these men...
I think I'm voting for my dad again...
Saarela 08

Godspeed,
Caleb

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home