Thursday, February 22, 2007

Life Update #2 Modified

A letter sent to my friends and family...

Well it has been almost 6 weeks since I got the pleasure of marring my beautiful wife. We have adjusted to living together, well almost, we are still learning but we are happy to be leaning. My stuff is moved in and I am trying not to mess things up.

"Where does this dish go? I can dry these pants but not these one's? Why!?!?"

First off we just want to say Thank You so much for being our friends and family and making our wedding so special.

Missy's got herself a regular job that will hopefully turn into a full time, real, teaching job before next school year. I am still a bum...

On a more serious note, as some of you have heard on Tuesday we found out that the mole on my left cheek is cancerous.

It was by far and away one the most surreal moments of my life. To hear a doctor say "you have skin cancer" on a Tuesday afternoon while sitting in the hall of the school was beyond strange. I think I was in shock for the first 24 hours.

I have Basal Cell Carcinoma Sclerosing. Basal Cell Carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer and is not usually a major problem if treated quickly. Tumors can be removed and don't have any long-term effects. And Sclerosing just means scar like in nature.

But it was still a little scary and took a little time to settle into. There were also a lot of nagging questions that I didn't know the answers to. Some people can lose a nose or an ear if they have tumors on those parts of the body. Is mine too close to my ear or my eye? I have had this mole since high school will the length I have had it, the size it is, be a problem? Would my medical insurance cover this? How much would we have to pay? All that stuff just kept running through my mind. And I can't lie to you I did think about what if this was something worse, something life threatening...

Missy was great she kept me calm and thinking positively, we had some good conversations about how thankful we are that God is in control and although I was shocked, God wasn't. And in the grand scope the small spot on my face is just that, small...

Today we went to see the surgeon who will be performing my Mohs Surgery, and we were able to get all of our questions answered. He was doubtful that there would be any long-term problems and seemed optimistic that the only lasting affect will be a three to four inch scar on my face. Which is fine by me.

We both walked out relieved and feeling like a weight has been lifted. We are not totally out of the woods, but we are feeling like we have a little more light and or on the right path. I have basically felt like throwing up for the last two days, but started feeling better yesterday as I thought, prayed and learned about the characteristics of my cancer.

I will have surgery on March 6th, and because the surgery is done in three or four stages it could take almost all day, and then a day or two to recover.

Anyway I know this is brief but just wanted to let people know what was going on, and to say thank you for your prayers. I know they carried us through these last couple days. So again thank you, we love you, and we will keep you posted on how things go.

Godspeed,
Caleb and Missy

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home